Monday, May 31, 2010

Fanatical Christians...

I was moved yesterday by the sermon. I always feel it is directed at me and really try to go back and examine the "weeds" in my own life. I have been thinking about commitment.


Commitment: the act of committing or the state of being committed.
      • dedication; application : the company's commitment to quality.
      • a pledge or undertaking : I cannot make such a commitment at the moment.
      • an act of pledging or setting aside something

It's a pretty big word that carries a huge responsibility. In Revelation 3:15, Christ tells John to write in a letter to the church in Laodicea: “I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!"  

I think He wants us to be sold out, on fire, working for His kingdom. What does that mean exactly? 

One thing the pastor mentioned yesterday was being in church...every Sunday. The writer of Hebrews tells us in chapter 10, "Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near."

I love gathering with God's people to worship Him. I was not always this way, however. I think as I get older, and I realize the magnitude of what God has done for me I become more passionate in my love for HIm. We have so many older saints who clearly love Him. They are in church even though they are fighting incredible physical pain and a multitude of other issues. Oh that we can learn from them. 

So let's apply the commitment thing to the music ministry. Since God wants us to bring Him our best, we have to try our best to do that. What does that mean for us? It means we make a pledge to Him. It's not a commitment to me or to the church, but to God and His church. Which means:

- We need to be at rehearsals--every rehearsal and on time. When everyone is not at rehearsal we waste valuable time repeating the same thing for those who were not there. None of us are such great musicians that we can show up and sight read at Sunday morning's run through. In fact, incredible musicians don't show up and sight read. They prepare, and prepare many hours before bringing their gift. It can only hurt the team if people are missing.

-We need to be prepared for rehearsals, spiritually. We need to make sure our hearts are prepared to learn and worship. Rehearsal is also a time of worship as we prepare our offering to God. 

-We need to be in the services. We are the leaders of worship, and as such we need to be the example. As leaders of worship we should want to be in services. It doesn't provide a good example to lead on Sunday morning, then not be there at all on Sunday night. I guess the question we all need to ask ourselves is would we be there in the service if we weren't leading? I hope and pray the answer is yes. Sunday night could be when we have our most intimate worship with our Creator. 

God could do amazing things through us if we are committed to Him and His church. It's not easy. It requires a sacrifice. But the blessings are so amazing that we won't even remember the sacrifice. If we love Him, truly love him, then we want to be with him, serve Him, love Him, worship Him 24-7, not just Sunday morning. 

My prayer is that we all fall in love with Jesus all over again and are so on fire that, like the pastor said yesterday, we are known as those "fanatical" Christians. Would that be the coolest thing or what? 

He doesn't want lukewarm...He wants fanatical:-)

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment