Saturday, May 29, 2010

Give Him Your Best...

I've been thinking a lot about our upcoming "Free Market" lately. What a wonderful opportunity to reach out to others. In Matthew 25 Jesus says,

"For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’

So we all know we are supposed to show the love of Christ to others by taking care of those in need. So it's such a blessing that people are willing to come together and bring items to give away for free. What I want to focus on are the items we bring. Let's make sure that we don't dwell on donating things we no longer want or need.  If we are really trying to show people the love of Christ do we really want to give them the cast offs and things we do not care whether we have or not? Really? I think God is calling us to make a sacrifice. Give something away you DO want. Give something you LOVE away. Go buy something NEW to give to a child who NEEDS it. Give your FAVORITE Christian CD away. Maybe someone will come to know Christ through it.

We must examine our motivation for everything we bring to God. Are we bringing our best or just some old stuff we don't want anymore? There's nothing wrong with sharing things we don't use or don't fit, etc., but this outreach event is not the place to dump all the "stuff" we just want rid of then sit back and think we've done something great and expect God to bless it. Now, let me stop right here and tell you that I'm in no way saying any of us would do that! I'm only saying that we need to consciously examine our hearts and motives so we don't stumble as we approach this event.  He deserves only our best and His people deserve our BEST. If we humble ourselves and give Him our best, just watch what He can do through us.

Our God is amazing! He can do incredible things with our "Free Market" if we are willing to let Him do what He wants to do through us and not what we want. Pray for the event. Pray for people who will come. Pray for the items we will all bring in to donate. Pray for God to use us to do His work. It's all about Him:-)

Love you all,
Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment