Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Spirits and such...

Since Halloween is over I thought I would share the scripture that I read on Halloween. Most of you know I'm reading through the Bible the second time.  I thought it was really funny that I would just happen to be here in 1 Samuel 28 on what is celebrated by many as Halloween.

Lea over at "My Letters to Emily"had written about why she did not send her kids out trick or treating to  celebrate Halloween. And I agree with her wholeheartedly. She said, " I know, it probably sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to not let them go trick or treating, but I just couldn't feel great about sending them out on a night dedicated to ghouls and goblins.  especially, when I believed in them."

So I just had to share this scripture from 1 Samuel 28 as I don't think anything is an accident...

4. The Philistines set up their camp at Shunem, and Saul gathered all the army of Israel and camped at Gilboa. 5. When Saul saw the vast Philistine army, he became frantic with fear. 6. He asked the Lord what he should do, but the Lord refused to answer him, either by dreams or by sacred lots or by the prophets. 7. Saul then said to his advisers, “Find a woman who is a medium, so I can go and ask her what to do.”

   His advisers replied, “There is a medium at Endor.”

 8. So Saul disguised himself by wearing ordinary clothing instead of his royal robes. Then he went to the woman’s home at night, accompanied by two of his men.

   “I have to talk to a man who has died,” he said. “Will you call up his spirit for me?”

 9. “Are you trying to get me killed?” the woman demanded. “You know that Saul has outlawed all the mediums and all who consult the spirits of the dead. Why are you setting a trap for me?”

 10. But Saul took an oath in the name of the Lord and promised, “As surely as the Lord lives, nothing bad will happen to you for doing this.”

 11. Finally, the woman said, “Well, whose spirit do you want me to call up?”

   “Call up Samuel,” Saul replied.

 12. When the woman saw Samuel, she screamed, “You’ve deceived me! You are Saul!”

 13. “Don’t be afraid!” the king told her. “What do you see?”

   “I see a god coming up out of the earth,” she said.

 14. “What does he look like?” Saul asked.

   “He is an old man wrapped in a robe,” she replied. Saul realized it was Samuel, and he fell to the ground before him.

 15. “Why have you disturbed me by calling me back?” Samuel asked Saul.

   “Because I am in deep trouble,” Saul replied. “The Philistines are at war with me, and God has left me and won’t reply by prophets or dreams. So I have called for you to tell me what to do.”

 16. But Samuel replied, “Why ask me, since the Lord has left you and has become your enemy? 17. The Lord has done just as he said he would. He has torn the kingdom from you and given it to your rival, David. 18. The Lord has done this to you today because you refused to carry out his fierce anger against the Amalekites. 19. What’s more, the Lord will hand you and the army of Israel over to the Philistines tomorrow, and you and your sons will be here with me. The Lord will bring down the entire army of Israel in defeat.”

 20. Saul fell full length on the ground, paralyzed with fright because of Samuel’s words. He was also faint with hunger, for he had eaten nothing all day and all night.


So many people, Christians, have no problem "playing" around with spirits, ouija boards, etc., but just think about who you are dealing with and what kind of power your are letting in. Something to think about...

In Mark 5, Jesus deals with a man possessed by demons:


 So they arrived at the other side of the lake, in the region of the Gerasenes. 2. When Jesus climbed out of the boat, a man possessed by an evil spirit came out from a cemetery to meet him. 3. This man lived among the burial caves and could no longer be restrained, even with a chain. 4. Whenever he was put into chains and shackles—as he often was—he snapped the chains from his wrists and smashed the shackles. No one was strong enough to subdue him. 5. Day and night he wandered among the burial caves and in the hills, howling and cutting himself with sharp stones.
 6. When Jesus was still some distance away, the man saw him, ran to meet him, and bowed low before him. 7. With a shriek, he screamed, “Why are you interfering with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? In the name of God, I beg you, don’t torture me!” 8. For Jesus had already said to the spirit, “Come out of the man, you evil spirit.”

 9. Then Jesus demanded, “What is your name?”

   And he replied, “My name is Legion, because there are many of us inside this man.” 10. Then the evil spirits begged him again and again not to send them to some distant place.

 11. There happened to be a large herd of pigs feeding on the hillside nearby. 12. “Send us into those pigs,” the spirits begged. “Let us enter them.”

 13. So Jesus gave them permission. The evil spirits came out of the man and entered the pigs, and the entire herd of 2,000 pigs plunged down the steep hillside into the lake and drowned in the water.

 14. The herdsmen fled to the nearby town and the surrounding countryside, spreading the news as they ran. People rushed out to see what had happened. 15. A crowd soon gathered around Jesus, and they saw the man who had been possessed by the legion of demons. He was sitting there fully clothed and perfectly sane, and they were all afraid. 16. Then those who had seen what happened told the others about the demon-possessed man and the pigs. 17. And the crowd began pleading with Jesus to go away and leave them alone.

Just food for thought...

1 comment:

  1. well, if this doesn't put the fear of God into
    us, i don't know what will! i always tell
    people that i believe in ghosts, because
    Jesus asked the disciples if they thought
    he was a ghost walking on the water.

    why would he ask them that if there were
    no such things?

    your scriptures are much better examples,
    though, of a reason not to play around
    with this stuff.

    thanks for linking to me.

    blessings,
    lea

    ReplyDelete